Varieties , Size & Colour of Tapioca Sago:
Currently, in 2014, There are two varieties popular in India. First, Common Sabudana, which is Roasted and dried and Second, Nylon Sabudana, which is steam boiled and dried.
Roasted (Common Sabudana) is manufactured in three sizes as
(1) between 1mm to 1.5 mm dia (locally known as Motidana and popularly used in Eastern part of India),
(2) between 2 mm to 2.5 mm dia (it is international standard size and locally known as ‘Khirdana’), and
(3) between 3 mm to 4 mm dia (the common popular size all over India, locally called ‘Badadana’).
Boiled (Nylon Sabudana) is also manufactured in three sizes as
(1) of 2 mm dia (locally known as ‘Chinidana’ or ‘Smaller Ceylon nylon’),
(2) of 3 mm dia (popularly called as ‘Ceylon Nylon”), and
(3) between 5 to 7 mm dia (which is called locally as ‘Glass Nylon’)
Roasted variety is soaking more water than Boiled Variety, whereas, if frying, Boiled variety becomes more larger in expansion than Roasted Sabudana.
Similarly, Boiled Sabudana variety has more transparency in appearance, whereas Roasted Variety has no transparency. Colour of the two varieties are also different, as Boiled variety becomes glowing transparent creamer-yellow colour, whereas Roasted variety retains the original natural white colour of cassava extract like Milk colour.
General Characteristics of Tapioca Sago
Tapioca Sago has various specialities as a food item,among which the following are quiet significant:
1. It is very easy to cook.
2. The taste is very delicious.
3. Even a novice cook can prepare varieties of Dishes.
4. It is easy to digest.
5. It is 100% vegetarian and made from pure extract of Tapioca root (a vegetable crop), even anyone can take on auspicious or fast days.
6. Sick persons can take for immediate recovery.
7. Harmless, easy-digestive, Very good food for children.